Do Re Mi

As a salesman I did my bit of travelling .I loved travelling,not really because I get to explore new culture ,food and the weather,but more because I loved them hotels.I liked to hole up below the blankets and plan a quiet dinner,contemplating on what to update on my FB page in the night .My idea of checking the town out ,would be me walking a couple of blocks from where I stay,clicking an ugly picture of a statue, uploading the same on FB, a few likes ,thats all the dopamine high I needed. I followed a pattern, picked up a pack of cigarettes( kids/parents, I'm not a smoker! ) , held a book and moved up and about disguising to be a local.


I am an introvert , I don't easily pick conversations or make new friends.I liked to ,but im just not wired that way.Hence the cigarette . I just believed ,holding a ciggy is your excuse to stand still in a place not doing anything.I liked being the macho swinging that lighter  on a crowded European street , giving you all the reason to just stand in a cold corner observing the chitter chatter around.


It was on one of these trips to Europe that my machismo was put to test.


Salzburg was beautiful.The river , the bridge ,those narrow streets,high castles.It was a Sunday afternoon and me and my best friend Marlboro were on a stroll with an aim to tour the town cheap.Thats when I came across a touring operator called The Sound of Music tour . I was vaguely familiar with the movie.Remember it being in my moms favourite list.Since I knew the movie was shot there,I was not suspicious of the touring groups name.I just thought the name was symbolic of the town.


The tour bus started towards dusk. A few minutes into the trip my machismo flew out of the window . The operator came to me, stuffed his microphone up my nostrils and asked me to initiate the Do Re Mi song.I had hardly made it through the first line of Sa Re Ga in my music classes and hence trust  me , I could have triggered another World War through an Austrian  assasination .Such was my embarrasment.Even Marlboro said , every man to himself now,you asked for it,starting on this trip.So I sang , Doe a deer...a female deer..( rolling my tongue on the 'deer' inorder to sound like a Sayippu).Once I finished my cue , the rest of the bus joined.Applauding and singing along,I was overjoyed.That microphone never left my nostrils.I moved on to Jai Ho after Do Re Mi.More applause.


Even though I gradually understood that all the cheering was more to make that strange quirky Indian at home and at ease, I loved that trip, brimming on nostalgia,enjoying center stage and most importantly for the generous friends I made.Who said men can't do Do Re Mi.Screw Macho man


I travelled to 20 odd countries after Austria , and whereever I go , I make it a point to visit a karaoke joint..I'm a lousy singer , but the kick you get after the gig , was stronger than what Marlboro could ever offer..and most importantly I understood that you have your own methods to make new friends , for some it was as easy as asking ' would you like to join me for a drink'.For others it was stepping out of your comfort zone to initiate that adventure .

Jai ho..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expression

Follow your dreams